watermakers

Ways to make your boat more livable, appliances that fit and work, modifications to the Galley that work/don’t work. How to make your berth give you Heavenly sleep, etc.

watermakers

Postby Andrew Mattingly » Sat Oct 02, 2010 10:43 pm

Anyone have any experience/recommendations, with/for watermakers?

Thanks!
Andrew Mattingly
General Sailor

Re: watermakers

Postby OD440 » Mon Oct 11, 2010 4:56 pm

I installed a Spectra 400and it has worked flawlessly this past year while cruising Mexico.
Makes approx 17gph so I only need to run it a couple of hours every few days. It's a 12V model so I have made water
simply with batteries only (Agua Verde), ran it for 2 hours and worked fine--uses appox 1amp per gal per hour so a 17amps per hour.
Usually, I make water when we're under way simply to be in as deep as water as possible, that way, the pre-filters last a very long time.
You can make water anywhere, but if you make it in dirty water, the pre-filters need to be changed/clean more often.

It's a great thing to shower every day and not have to worrry too much about water conservation :), another treat is that the water
tastes great...less filling too

I had the boat on the hard the last two months here in Guaymas and the yard guys topped off the starboard tank a couple of times for me so that
the Spectra could use its 'Auto'Flush' feature--no need for pickling (Uses 5-6gals of fresh water every 5 days)

I left the water pressure pump on and the solar panels kept the batteries fully charged

All worked out fine

Orlando
CM440 #36
Currently in Guaymas, MX, leaving for Puerto Escondido on Wednesday 10/13
OD440
Owner

Boat Name: Cuba Libre 3
Hailing Port: Marina del Rey, CA
Boat Make Model: CM 440
Model Year: 2006
Hull Number: 36

Postby versadek1 » Tue Oct 12, 2010 12:48 pm

I installed a Pro 500 last spring it has worked very well. When I pickled it for the winter it had run for 67.7 hours producing approx 25 gallons per hour (approx 1700 gallons). I replaced the filters on average about every 20 hours. The two filters cost about $3.00 total for both plus shipping. Their website is http://www.prowatermakers.com. They also run a special on ebay. I paid about $3000.00 for it plus I added a couple of three way valves to aid in cleaning and pickling. They are great to deal with and located in Vancouver WA.
versadek1

Postby flysocal » Thu Jul 20, 2017 12:44 pm

I know its an old thread... but this is one of our most used systems on the boat.

We purchased a used Spectra Gulfstream 400 from a guy...
It's been complete refurbished and now is a fully non-automatic system.
I also added a Z-Ion system to keep it fresh between flushing's... which I do every month.

Love our Spectra. And like others... it uses right at 1A per hour producing 1Gal per hour.

You can see my install here. http://www.cruisingvolare.com/2016/09/23/spectra-watermaker/

The ease of running a watermaker on 12v under solar power is something that should really be considered.
Adam & Jess
CM440 #43
Volare

Life's tough.... Life's tougher when you're stupid.
flysocal
Owner

Boat Name: Volare
Hailing Port: San Diego
Boat Make Model: CM 440
Model Year: 2007
Hull Number: 43

Return to Domestic